Tuesday, January 25, 2005

maximum occupancy

so i've been blog hopping a bit lately - and i have to say - it will never cease to amaze me how many great people there are out there - witty, articulate, strong...and how many times i've stopped and thought to myself - 'man, this person is a complete stranger on the other side of the country - and i know EXACTLY how they feel.'...it's just great.

question: why is it that the older we get, the less friends we make? are we just set with the friends that we already have and don't feel the need to go out and add to that circle? do we have a maximum occupancy of how many we can have in our lives? it's just strange - i cant remember the last time that i made a new friend - maybe college was the last time...there are the permanent fixtures that you know aren't going anywhere - the ones that have left you better off. on the flip side, i've had my share of turbulent friendships - some of which have faded away - others which remain pungent to eat away at me. perhaps it would take the extinction of these to make room for others that will inevitably be more fruitful. but then i think to myself - 'ahh, i don't want to start all over again - my friends know me, we have history, they know the quirks and idiosyncrasies, i don't want to have to 'court' new ones...' but how far can history take you? sure we shared some laughs, but, hey - i can laugh with other people. so there will be a slight downturn in 'remember that time when...' stories, but hey, i can get over that.
thoughts? share.



"There isn't much I haven't shared

With you along the road
And through it all there'd always be
Tomorrow's episode
Suddenly that isn't true
There's another avenue
Beckoning the great divide
Ask no questions, take no side
Who's to say who's right or wrong
Whose course is braver run
Still we are, have always been
Will ever be as one..."

6 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're four, making friends consists of saying "Hi, I'm Tony. Wanna play?" Does it simply get harder and harder with age, like making it up the stairs and memorizing your new phone number?

But nonagenarians moving into nursing homes are able to make friend swith their new neighbors, so I know it ain't hopeless.

I'm trying to make friends right now with possible lovers, a delicate matter since I don't feel the need to tell the whole town that my wifer and I have an open relationship (although I tell the potential lovers about my domestic situation up front, of course). But yes, making new friends under any conditions seems like more hassle than it used to be. What does happen? I wonder.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger test said...

I would post a smart-ass comment, but this is just too damn weird. So rather tell the whole town you have an open relationship you tell the whole world? Maybe people don't wanna be friends with you cuz they're afraid you'll drop trousers and try to mount them right then and there.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also believe in open relationships.

Sincerely,
Hugh Hefner

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marriage is more than a physical relationship. It is a spiritual bond that should be shared by 2 individuals who are always there for each other. It should not be all about sex all the time.

- William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not that the older we get, you make less frends... but the older we get, we make less QUALITY friends. cherish those you consider quality friends forever. you will meet people throughout your lives and be close to different people during your different phases. but through it all, hold on to those "remember when..." memories.

just my 2 cents..
m :)

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of your site. Your witty and satirical entries brighten up my day. I would love to meet you in person and possibly ignite a relationship.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home