Thursday, July 22, 2004

a rose by any other name never smelled as sweet...

nicknames.
they are the best!  i love calling someone something, that no one else really understands the meaning behind.  it's your own private little joke, that you can smile about every time you say it.  it doesn't have to make complete sense, or mean all that much, but it's special, and it's yours.
 
i have different groups of friends that call me different things, and tho i might complain about how ugly the name is or that im embarrased that i sometimes turn around when i hear someone yell out 'short bus!' (not that i hear that being yelled out all that often).  i might not express it all the time, but nicknames, i love you, and though some of you are played with more often, i love you all just the same.  
 
random act of nonsense:  i recently moved into a new apartment (yay!), and along with that comes the normal moving, putting up decorations, putting together lamps - here lies the problem.  me and electronics are not the best of friends.  a few weeks ago, i was attempting to assemble one of those lantern lamps that hangs from the ceiling, my friend had constructed a make-shift switch that connected to the wires inside the chord (thanks for nuthin, chubaca!=), following me?  well, some of the wires had emerged from the chord and were just sticking out.  it was nighttime, so i had the wires close up to my face so that i could see them properly.  i plugged in the light, the wires somehow caught fire, and sparks were flying off of it...i felt heat on my face, but i was quite proud of the fact that i didnt scream and diffused the situation quite calmly.  Later that night, im getting ready to go out, look in the mirror, and noticed that half of my eyebrow has singed off.  i touched it and what was formerly my eyebrow hair, fell to the counter in the form of ash.  i was horrified.  well, i picked up the pieces of my life (or in this case, my eyebrow) and moved on.  now, my eyebrow hair has been growing back - but it is coming in at a weird direction...is it possible to have brow cowlicks?  i can answer that - yes!  i dont know how much longer i can pull off these aaliyah-inspired bangs that cover half my face, it's beginning to effect my vision.  The worst part - this is not the first time i have burned a part of myself, or the second, or the third...
 
"I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. And if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me, I promise you, I promise you I will..."





2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your style of writing, very cool, real.
Looking forward to reading on.
Where in LA re you located?

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sup-- this is lisa, didn't want to sign up but i wanted to leave you some advice re: stray eyebrow hairs. trim them using small cuticle scissors. hope that helps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home